Tuesday, August 10, 2010

iStan's Facebook Page-incorporating FB with hfsm

How to incorporate Facebook into Nursing Education
The report for Childnet International and funded by Becta, the government body for technology in learning, says while teachers and lecturers may be using social networking services they may not recognize the educational potential for their students. (http://www.digizen.org/socialnetworking/). I would like to expand on the educational use of facebook.
I am incorporating facebook into my 4th semester advanced med/surg course. I created a facebook page for our high fidelity mannequin. He instantly got 6 friend requests. I intend to use facebook as an evolving case study. I have created a profile for “iStan”. He lives with his wife, in laws and 1 adult child and 1 toddler grandchild. I have personalized the site with pictures and stories from his life. I plan posting questions to his friends (students). Size will be limited to 8 students. The questions will focus on a variety of topics. The students will be expected to research responses, provide education and appropriate educational materials/websites. All students will participate but I will rotate each student through the lead position. This will ensure each student posts an initial response.
The questions will cover a variety of issues. Questions will focus on all age groups and health care concerns. Eventually professional and conflict resolution items will be included. Some examples could be:
• "My doctor gave me a prescription for a beta blocker. I was taught how to take my pulse but now I am not sure I remember. Please help". The follow up question may be “I am depressed, why?” Goal would be to evaluate critical thinking by students.
• “My doctor told me my BUN is elevated. Should I be concerned?”
• “My doctor does not answer my questions. How do I get him to listen to me?”
• “My mother in law is becoming very forgetful. My wife is concerned she may have Alzheimer’s disease. How would we know?
• “My daughter read an article and has decided not to immunize her son. Is this okay?”

Students will be required to read an article “Teaching with Social Networks: Establishing a Social Contract” by Diane Sieber. This article focuses on appropriate social behaviors in a social network environment. The students will sign a contract stating they will comply with the behaviors. The instructor will provide clear guidelines of student responsibilities/expectations. A grading rubric will be provided for this assignment.

Students will respond and offer education/clarification/resources. Students’ responses’ will be read/reviewed and changes made to Istan’s responses based on them. I believe this would create a virtual patient and family for the students in an evolving case study format. In the article by Educause, it states as social networking sites become more mainstream, online groups might begin to resemble existing campus communities and be influenced by the social norms and protocols inherent in such academic communities. The hook for students is using a platform they are comfortable with. Facebook is ranked number one with college students and it is estimated that over 90% of college students communicate via facebook (http://www.insidefacebook.com/2009/07/06/college-students-facebook-use-easing-up-over-the-summer-while-parents-logging-on-in-record-numbers/).

The use of this learning method would only be limited by your creativity and imagination. There is no cost to the students and the learning curve is nonexistent. This teaching method will be evaluated at the end of each semester.

1 comment:

  1. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i recieved through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email--- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have herbal cure for COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITICS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete